Sunday, February 20, 2011

What I Lost

Riding horses was just a hobby for me, but I had become quite good at riding huntseat (the most common English saddle, to those who won’t know).  I trained at Reno-Tahoe Equestrian Center, where I rode every Sunday and was instructed by McKenna Hollingsworth.  I loved it; and it quickly became part of my weekly routine.
I tried to be an all around athlete: I had a blue belt in taekwondo, played ultimate Frisbee, and had just started snowboarding.  However, my true passion lies in running.  I have completed 2 NYC marathons in under 4 ½ hours, 7 half marathons and countless other races.  Running is my drug, to the point where my friend, Lynn, jokes that if we didn’t run we’d smoke crack.   I am determined to keep running; mostly because I’d rather not have to turn to hard drugs.
When I moved out west, I needed a new running group.  Back in NYC I belonged to New York Road Runners Club (NYRRC), but here I was alone.  Back in the beginning of summer 2010, I googled for a new club and found Reno Running and Fitness (RRF).  They helped me train for my second marathon, and I did numerous races with them along the way.  RRF treated me as one of their own from the beginning and I owe so much to the founders, Michael and Lynn.  You guys are so generous; I wish every runner had people like you in their corner.
More importantly, within RRF, I found some of the best people.  I have become friends with all of them, and especially close with a few of them, which I have already mentioned.  They’ll be mentioned a number of times so you’ll get the special opportunity to know them too.


I work at a startup IT consulting firm. There are 7 of us, including me.  I’m the only girl, but I love the other six guys like my brothers.  There’s Robert and Brad, the boss men, David, who lives in St. Louis but still manages to be the life of the party, steadfast Dennis, who I can depend on for anything, and the recent grads, Gabe and Andrew.  I went from a large firm to working with them, and it was probably the one of the smartest decisions I’ve made.
When I first had the stroke, I was unable to walk and could barely talk, let alone do the things I loved.  I’m determined to get them back, and that’s what this blog is all about.  I want to show everyone, especially other stroke survivors, that living after a stroke is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment